Transport Canada


  • Transport Canada (TC)
  • Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC)
  • Advisory Circular (AC)
  • Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC)

Transport Canada

MAAC works in close cooperation with Transport Canada which is supportive of our hobby. Transport Canada has published advisory material that provides general guidance and safety practices for operators of model aircraft. The MAAC Safety Code provides a generally acceptable alternative set of safety practices. All model aircraft operators should be familiar with the applicable Transport Canada guidance material and the applicable sections of the MAAC Safety Code. Any questions with regard to the safe and legal operation of your models should be addressed to your zone director or to MAAC head office.

Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC)

Model aircraft are excluded from the vast majority of Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) that are applied to other aircraft. However, model aircraft with a maximum take-off weight in excess of 35 kg (77 lbs) require a special flight operations certificate (SFOC) to operate. MAAC and Transport Canada have worked cooperatively to develop a simplified application process for large models. A basic template has been developed for this purpose. Please contact your regional office to obtain an application form. You can find the one closest to you by going to the link below.

To submit an SFOC application, please complete the form and send it to the appropriate Transport Canada regional office. For a list of Transport Canada regional offices, please go to:

Airspace Requirements for Remote Control Pilots

There are a number of links below that explain the airspace requirements for remote control pilots.

MAAC News Release - MAAC/Transport Canada Document

Transport Canada Standards - Flying an unmanned aircraft

Transport Canada Infographic - Flying an unmanned aircraft? You may need permission from Transport Canada

TC Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-002 - General Safety Practices - Model Aircraft and Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems (In particular read items 4 and 5.)

MAAC Safety Code